Mount Olive, N.C. – The King University men's basketball team fell behind early and were unable to recover throughout the game. King made a small come back in the second half and cut the lead down to eight but the Trojan offense proved too much the Tornado and King fell 78-63.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 78, King 63
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive N.C.
RECORDS: King 4-2, Conference Carolinas 0-1; Mount Olive 2-4, Conference Carolinas 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive came out hot to start the game going on a quick 14-2 run halted by a Kalen Clifton jump shot.
- King then went on an 11-2 run of their own to cut the lead down to three capped by a Justin Fraizer three-point shot.
- The Trojans were quick to answer by scoring eight points in less than a minute to push the lead back up to 11 24-13.
- The Tornado and the Trojans exchanged baskets after a media timeout until a pair of Mount Olive baskets extended the lead to 15.
- After a Davis Desmond jump shot cut the Trojans lead down to 13 Mount Olive added back to back three-point baskets to give Mount Olive the largest lead of the night 41-22.
- King was able to cut down the lead to 13 before the half as Clifton made a jump shot, but Mount Olive had the last laugh as Michael Brown made a driving layup to give the Trojans a 43-28 lead at the half.
- King came out stronger in the second half going on a 9-2 run to cut the lead down to 45-37.
- After a pair of free throws for the Trojans Clifton and Antonio Freeman made back to back layups to cut the Mount Olive lead down to eight 49-41 with 14 minutes remaining in the contest.
- After a media timeout, the Trojans came out to regain lost momentum and were able to do so going on an 11-1 run to balloon the lead back up 60-42.
- The Trojans would not look back and reach their largest lead of the night with just over four and a half minutes remaining in the second half 76-56.
- Mount Olive would eventually take the contest 78-63.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE.
- Clifton had 13 points and two rebounds.
- Brown added on with 12 points and three rebounds
- Freeman had nine rebounds in the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- Michael Brown and Jonathan Mebane both had 16 points for the Trojans.
- Jamaal Martin and Alan Treakle added on with 13 points.
- King travels to Erskine Saturday, December 8th, tip-off scheduled for 4:00 pm.
- Mount Olive travels to Francis Marion December 4th.