BLACKSBURG, Va. – The King University cycling team opened the season with a great showing at the Virginia Tech mountain bike race. The Tornado posted 10 wins and 16 podium finishes on the opening weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Women's Category A
- Kiley Krasley led the way for the Tornado with three wins, starting with short track and cross country.
- Kate Dietrich won the enduro race, following third place finishes in short track and cross country.
Women's Category B
- Kylie Gardner started her Tornado career with wins in short track and cross country.
Women's Category C
- Krasley's final win came in Sunday's enduro.
- Chloe Harmon won both events she entered, short track and cross country.
Men's Category A
- Matthew Owen came in with wins in short track and cross country before closing his weekend with a runner-up finish in enduro.
- Dawson Sanders finished third in cross country and fourth in short track.
- Jameson Simms came in with 10th place finishes in short track and cross country.
- Kyle Tiesler finished fourth in enduro and seventh in short track.
- Ben Lightfoot finished ninth in cross country.
Men's Category B/C
- Dominic Giannantonio also came in with a podium finish, taking third in short track.
- Giannantonio also finished fifth in cross country and eighth in enduro.
- Simms finished runner-up in men's C enduro
- Ben Lightfoot rounded out the men's team, finishing sixth in enduro and 11th in short track.
- The Tornado are scheduled to be in action again on September 21-22 at Lees-McRae College.