BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball won their third straight Conference Carolinas series to start the season, defeating Emmanuel College 2-1 on a walk-off single from David Carnicella in the eighth inning. The Lions came back to take game two 14-4 for the doubleheader split.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Emmanuel 1 (F/8); Emmanuel 14, King 4
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-7, 7-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 7-12, 6-6 Conference Carolinas
- Rob Sari went 3-for-5 on the day with his first home run of the season in game two. Sari also drove in three on the day.
- Junior Renwick also posted two hits on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The opening game was a pitcher's duel between Trevor Beards and Jake Denhem of Emmanuel.
- Beards retired the first 10 batters he faced until a one-out double in the fourth. He then got back-to-back strikeouts to end the inning.
- King loaded the bases without a hit in the second, but couldn't capitalize as Denhem kept the Tornado off the scoreboard.
- Emmanuel broke through in the sixth with a walk and a single put two runners on.
- Will Pittman then drove in Brandon Taylor with a well-placed single down the right field line over Hunter Barbour's head.
- Beards then got out of the inning with a flyout and groundout.
- King got the run back in the bottom of the inning when Austin Meyer ripped a leadoff triple and Sari followed with a double to even the score at 1-1.
- However, relief pitcher Tyler Mayfield got the final three outs to end the threat.
- Neither team got the offense going in the seventh as the game went to extra innings even at 1-1.
- Beards worked around a one-out single in the eighth to give King a chance to win the game in the bottom of the inning.
- Meyer started the inning with a single before Cade Coffman dropped down a sacrifice bunt that turned into a base hit.
- A sacrifice bunt followed by an intentional walk to Barbour loaded the bases for Carnicella.
- On the seventh pitch of the at bat, Carnicella ripped a single to left center that scored Meyer and gave King the 2-1 win.
Winning Pitcher: Trevor Beards (3-2) 8.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Adam Biss (1-2) 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Emmanuel took a 1-0 lead two batters into the game following a double, wild pitch and sacrifice fly.
- King responded, evening the score on a Meyer sacrifice fly in the bottom of the inning that score Jarett Backus.
- Sari then made it a 3-1 Tornado lead with a two-run home run.
- A Justin Henley two-run single for Emmanuel evened the score at 3-3 in the third inning.
- The Lions then broke the game open in the fourth inning with seven runs. In the inning, Emmanuel had a two-run single, two-run home run and two-run triple to take a 10-3 lead.
- Harrison Barger pulled King within 10-4 with a sacrifice fly that scored Connor Andrews in the sixth.
- However, the Lions put the game out of reach with four runs in the eighth, taking the 14-4 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Tyler Robison (2-2) 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Braden White (5-1) 3.0 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Pittman and Henle led Emmanuel, each posting three hits and four runs batted in.
- Kyle Gaura drove in three on two hits, including a home run.
- King returns to the diamond on Monday at Milligan College. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel travels to USC Aiken on Wednesday.