MARS HILL, N.C. – The King University baseball team came up with a nonconference win in come-from-behind fashion on Wednesday at Mars Hill University. The Tornado scored seven runs in the final two innings to send the game to extra innings before scoring three runs in the 10th to take the game 12-9.
FINAL SCORE: King 12, Mars Hill 9 (F/10)
LOCATION: Henderson Field; Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORDS: King 13-6; Mars Hill 5-13
TIME OF GAME: 3:59
- Junior Renwick and Bennett McCann each hit home runs in the game and led King with four hits apiece.
- The duo also drove in two and scored three runs each.
- Rob Sari and Hunter Barbour also drove in two runs each.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams threatened in the early innings, and Mars Hill struck first in the fourth inning.
- Hunter Holland drove in one before the Lions scored another run on a passed ball to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 4-0 following back-to-back run-scoring doubles for Masr Hill in the fifth.
- McCann cut the deficit in half for King with a two-run home run that scored Harrison Barger in the top of the sixth.
- However, Mars Hill scored three runs on two home runs in the bottom of the inning to regain at 7-2 lead.
- King threatened to score in the seventh, loading the bases with one out, but the Lions got out of the jam unscathed.
- The Tornado pulled within one with a four-run eighth inning. Jarrett Backus drove in McCann with a single before Renwick ripped a two-run home run to right center.
- Connor Andrews cut the King deficit to 7-6 with a one-out bases loaded walk.
- However, King couldn't push across another run as the Lions got out of another bases loaded jam.
- The Tornado used a Mars Hill defensive miscue to even the score in the top of the ninth before a Barbour single through the right side score a pair and gave King a 9-7 lead.
- However, Holland hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth, sending the game to extra innings.
- In the 10th, Sari came up with a bases loaded two-run single to right field that gave King the lead.
- The Tornado then stole a run to take a 12-9 lead into the bottom of the inning.
- Nathan Jaye made that stand up as he retired the side in order to give King the 12-9 win.
FOR THE FOES
- Holland led Mars Hill, going 4-for-4 with four runs batted in.
- Casey Mawhinney posted two hits and drove in two.
Winning Pitcher: Nathan Jaye (1-0) 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ryan Steffens (0-1) 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
- King takes on Emmanuel College in a Conference Carolinas series on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's contest is scheduled to start at 1:00 p.m. with Sunday's doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill hosts Queens University on Friday and Saturday.