BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team came from behind to defeat Barton College on Saturday afternoon. Hunter Barbour drove in five runs while Avery Cain earned the win on the mound as came away with the 5-3 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Barton 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-5, 4-0 Conference Carolinas; Barton 8-9, 0-4 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 2:34
- Barbour ripped his first home run of the season and drove in five on three hits.
- Austin Meyer scored three runs on one hit and two walks.
- Nic Blankenship earned his first career save, working the final two and two-thirds innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Noah Almond gave Barton a 1-0 lead with a leadoff home run in the second.
- The Bulldogs took advantage of a Tornado miscue later in the inning to take a 2-0 lead.
- King responded in the bottom of the inning with a Meyer leadoff single.
- Barbour later ripped a home run to left center, evening the tally at 2-2.
- Barton regained the lead in the fourth following an Ethan Davis triple and Petey Frey sacrifice fly.
- Junior Renwick started the Tornado half of the sixth with a single and Meyer followed with a walk.
- A wild pitch moved the runners to second and third as the Tornado looked to take the lead.
- Barton got two outs, and it appeared they would get out of the inning as Barbour hit a high fly ball into left field.
- The ball fell between the shortstop and left fielder, giving King their first lead at 4-3.
- Cain got the first out of the inning before Blankenship came in and retired the first two batters he faced in the seventh.
- Blankenship tossed another 1-2-3 inning in the eighth before Barbour added an insurance run with a two-out single to center that scored Meyer and gave King a 5-3 lead.
- That was all Blankenship needed as he retired the Bulldogs down in order in the ninth, giving King the win and earning his first save.
FOR THE FOES
- Trevor Edior posted two hits to lead the Barton offense.
- Davis scored twice while Almond, Frey and Stancil Bowles all drove in runs.
Winning Pitcher: Avery Cain (3-1) 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Genry Fortuno (2-2) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 10 SO
Save: Nic Blankenship (1) 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes with a doubleheader on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.