MURFREESBORO, N.C. – The King University baseball team opened Conference Carolinas play with a win at Chowan University. King jumped ahead in the first inning and used a pair of big innings to take the contest 8-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Chowan 1
LOCATION: Hawkins Field; Murfreesboro, N.C.
RECORDS: King 8-4, 1-0 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 5-7, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 2:34
- Junior Renwick ripped a double and a home run, his first of the season.
- Harrison Barger also crushed his first home run of the season as he drove in three on the day.
- Deric Graham and Hunter Barbour added two hits and each drove in one and score one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Two batters into the game, Renwick gave King the lead with a home run.
- Chowan threatened in the bottom of the first, but Drew Moore left the bases loaded.
- The Hawks loaded the bases again in the third, but Trevor Beards came in and got out of the inning to keep King ahead.
- King broke the game open with four runs in the fourth inning. Rob Sari drove in one with a double before Graham and Barbour came up with run-scoring hits.
- David Carnicella made it a 5-0 Tornado lead as he drove in Graham with a groundout.
- Barger struck in the seventh, lacing a three-run home run to right field, stretching the King lead to 8-0.
- Chowan got on the board with one run in the seventh, but Beards got the final seven outs for the Tornado.
- He worked around a pair of baserunners in the eighth and one in the ninth to give King the 8-1 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Jared Fry drove in the lone run for the Hawks while their five hits came from five different players.
Winning Pitcher: Trevor Beards (2-1) 6.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Wyatt Beakler (0-3) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
- The teams finish the three-game series with a doubleheader starting at 11:00 a.m. on Monday.