BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University finished their weekend with a sweep of Salem University. The Tornado used two big innings to take game three 11-3 on Sunday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: King 11, Salem 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-3; Salem 0-5
TIME OF GAME: 3:11
- Connor Andrews ripped his second home run of the season, a two-run shot. He also scored two runs.
- Austin Meyer drove in a pair while Junior Renwick, Hunter Barbour and Bennett McCann recorded two hits each.
- Renwick and Harrison Barger each score twice.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barbour got King on the board in the second inning with a one-out double that scored Rob Sari.
- Andrews scored on a Salem defensive miscue on the play and Barbour ended up on third.
- McCann followed with a triple before Meyer capped the six-run inning with a single that scored Barger.
- Salem got on the board in the sixth inning on a Walker Dodero home run.
- That was the only mistake that Braden White made on the mound in six innings.
- The Tigers cut their deficit to 6-3, scoring two runs in the seventh, one coming on a Tyler D'Alessandro home run.
- However, the King offense got those runs back, plating four in the bottom of the seventh.
- Meyer drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly, and Andrews blasted a home run to left field, giving King a 10-3 lead.
- King tacked on an insurance run in the eighth and Nathan Jaye finished the 11-3 victory with four straight strikeouts.
FOR THE FOES
- D'Alessandro and Austin Whetzel posted two hits each for Salem.
Winning Pitcher: Braden White (2-0) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Sam Chapman (0-1) 1.1 IP, 2 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO
- The Tornado are scheduled to return to the diamond on Tuesday when they host regional rival UVa-Wise at 2:00 p.m.
- Salem travels to Cedarville University on Saturday.