JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – The King University baseball team came away with a nonconference win at regional rival Carson-Newman University on Tuesday. The Tornado opened up a 12-0 through five innings, using three home runs to take the 12-6 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 12, Carson-Newman 6
LOCATION: Silver Diamond; Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-3; Carson-Newman 7-1
TIME OF GAME: 3:30
- Austin Meyer went 2-for-3 with his third home run of the season. He also drove in three and scored three times.
- Bennett McCann ripped his second home run of the season, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Connor Andrews ripped his first career home run and drove in two on two hits.
- Junior Renwick scored four runs on one hit and two walks.
- Brayden Cooney drove in three runs on two hits and two walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King loaded the bases on three walks in the top of the first inning before an Eagle defensive miscue gave King two runs a 2-0 lead.
- McCann then started the second inning with a home run before a Meyer sacrifice fly and Brayden Cooney run-scoring single gave King a 5-0 lead.
- The Tornado lead extended to 8-0 after three runs in the third. Harrison Barger drove in one with a sacrifice fly before Meyer ripped a two-run home run to right field.
- The Eagles threatened with two runners in each of the first two innings, but Jake DeLisi left the runners stranded.
- Carson-Newman then had a man on third base in the third, but DeLisi left him there to keep the shutout intact.
- Andrews then laced a two-run home run to left field in the fourth, extending the Tornado lead to 10-0.
- Cooney stretched the Tornado lead to 12-0 with a two-run single in the fifth inning, scoring Meyer and Junior Renwick.
- Carson-Newman got on the board with four runs in the sixth inning, highlighted by a two-out, two-run double from Gunnar Ricketts.
- Jordan Griffin cut the Carson-Newman deficit to 12-5 with a home run in the seventh.
- The Eagles added another run in the eighth, but the Tornado got the final three outs, stranding two more runners in the ninth to take the 12-6 win.
FOR THE FOES
- Tyler Thompson and Ricketts each drove in two for Carson-Newman with Ricketts collecting two doubles.
- Griffin and Mike Wroth posted two hits each.
Winning Pitcher: Jake DeLisi (1-0) 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Logan Cogburn (1-1) 1.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 0 SO
- King is scheduled to return home on Saturday when they host Salem University. The doubleheader is scheduled to start at 11:30 a.m.
- Carson-Newman University hosts Tusculum University on Wednesday afternoon.