BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team played their first home game of the season on Saturday afternoon, defeating Lindsey Wilson College 3-2. The Tornado jumped ahead with two runs in the seventh inning as Brayden Cooney and Austin Meyer led the charge going 2-for-4 on the day.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lindsey Wilson 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-2; Lindsey Wilson 1-3
TIME OF GAME: 2:28
- Cooney and Meyer both collected two hits, with both going 2-for-4 with one run batted in each.
- Marcus Orozco drove in the game-tying run in the seventh inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lindsey Wilson got the offense going early, scoring one unearned run in the top of the first inning.
- Cooney gave King their first hit after he ripped a line drive to right field, but the Blue Raiders got out of the inning with a ground out to second base.
- Hunter Barbour opened up the fourth inning with a single to right field.
- The Tornado evened the score after Cooney hit a run-scoring triple, scoring Barbour.
- Lindsey Wilson pulled ahead 2-1 in the fifth inning after Derek Zavala singled to center field, scoring Vincent Boils, who was walked earlier in the inning.
- In the top of the fifth inning, Drew Moore induced a groundball to leave Blue Raiders runners on second and third.
- The bats came alive for the King Tornado offense in the seventh inning. Harrison Barger opened up the inning with a hard-hit double to right field, followed by an Orozco run-scoring single that evened the score.
- A Meyer single scored Orozco, giving King their first lead of the game. Meyer advanced to second on the throw and Renwick advanced to third.
- The Tornado pitching staff remained sturdy in the final innings, with Nathan Jaye grabbing two strikeouts in the eighth and Erik Calderon Jr. closing the final inning with two strikeouts, as King took the contest 3-2.
FOR THE FOES
- Zavala went 2-for-5 and drove in one run for the Blue Raiders.
- Tyler Maskill, Austin Rayno, and Kyle Collin had one hit each.
Winning Pitcher: Nic Blankenship (1-0) 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Chandler Harnage (0-1) 6.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
- King is scheduled to play a double header against Lindsey Wilson on Sunday starting at 11:30 and 2:00 p.m.