ANDERSON, S.C. – The King University baseball team earned their first win of the season on Sunday afternoon, defeating Anderson University 13-7. The Tornado jumped ahead with 10 runs in the first inning as Junior Renwick led the charge going 5-for-5 on the day.
FINAL SCORE: King 13, Anderson 7
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium; Anderson, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-2; Anderson 2-1
TIME OF GAME: 2:54
- Jarrett Backus went 3-for-3 and scored three runs from the leadoff spot.
- Renwick went 5-for-5, scored four runs and drove in two.
- Bennett McCann ripped his first career home run, going 2-for-4.
- Deric Graham collected three hits, going 3-for-5 with two runs batted in.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got the offense going early, scoring five runs in the first inning. The second batter of the contest, Renwick ripped a triple that scored Backus who single to start the game.
- Harrison Barger had the big blow of the opening frame, a two-out, three-run double.
- The Tornado added two in the second on back-to-back run-scoring singles from Hunter Barbour and Graham.
- The King advantage grew to 10-0 in the third inning as McCann started the inning with a home run. Renwick later drove in another with a single and Backus scored on a wild pitch.
- A two-run double from Austin Meyer gave King a 12-0 lead in the fifth inning.
- Anderson got on the board with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth inning before King pushed the lead to 13-2 on a Graham single in the seventh inning that scored Renwick.
- Anderson plated three runs in the bottom of the seventh as Nick Vella highlighted the fame with a two-run double, cutting the King lead to 13-5.
- The Trojans scored a pair of runs in the ninth, but that was it as King took the contest 13-7.
FOR THE FOES
- Vella went 2-for-5 and drove in four runs for the Trojans.
- Cory Adams scored three runs while Dillon Carpenter also collected two hits.
Winning Pitcher: Braden White (1-0) 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Trace Furtick (0-1) 2.0 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
- King is scheduled to play their home opener on Wednesday against UVa-Wise at 1:00 p.m.
- Anderson travels to Limestone College on Tuesday.