ANDERSON, S.C. – The King University baseball team opened their season at Anderson University on Saturday. The Tornado held leads early in each game, but the Trojan offense was too much for King to overcome as Anderson took game one 13-8 and the second game 10-8.
FINAL SCORE: Anderson 13, King 8; Anderson 10, King 8
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium; Anderson, S.C.
RECORDS: King 0-2; Anderson 2-0
- Austin Meyer posted four hits on the day, including two home runs in game one. He also drove in four runs on the day.
- Harris Barger, Jarett Backus, Hunter Barbour, Junior Renwick and Brayden Cooney all posted three hits on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Meyer got the Tornado off to a hot start with a home run in the first inning.
- However, the Trojans scored nine runs in the bottom half of the frame, highlighted by three triples and a double to take a 9-1 lead.
- Barger drove in Marquis Orozco, who double earlier in the second inning, but Anderson added a run in the bottom half.
- Anderson then scored two runs in the third and another in the fourth to take a 13-2 lead over the Tornado.
- King chipped away at the deficit as Meyer's second home run came in the fourth inning.
- The Tornado added two runs in the fifth in a Backus single and he later scored on a defensive miscue.
- Backus drove in two runs in the seven before a Barbour sacrifice fly cut the King deficit to 13-8.
- However, King couldn't push any more runs across as the Trojans took the game 13-8.
Winning Pitcher: Lucas Smith (1-0) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Drew Moore (0-1) 0.1 IP, 6 H, 9 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Meyer got the scoring started again in the first inning for the Tornado, this time with a two-run double.
- King added three more runs in the inning to take a 5-0 lead.
- However, Anderson came back and scored four runs, the final two on a Dillon Carpenter home run in the first inning.
- Anderson evened the score in the second and then took a 6-5 lead scoring a run on a wild pitch.
- Renwick pulled the Tornado even with a run-scoring double in the fourth.
- The tie was short-lived, however, as the Trojans scored three runs, two on a Carpenter double in the bottom half of the inning to take a 9-6 lead.
- Barger pulled King within 9-8 in the fifth when he ripped a two-run single that scored Cooney and Barbour.
- Nevertheless, Anderson added a run in the fifth and went on to take the game 10-8.
Winning Pitcher: Ethan Stalnecker (1-0) 3.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Trevor Beards (0-1) 3.0 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
Save: Christian Carpenter (1) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Carpenter led the Trojans with four hits and five runs batted in on the day.
- Nick Vella added three hits and three runs batted in.
- The series concludes on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. in Anderson, S.C.