GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University baseball team was on the road at Limestone College for the final regular season series of the year. King would battle back in both games but eventually lose two heartbreaking games 10-11 and 5-4, ending their playoff hopes.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 11, King 10; Limestone 5, King 4
LOCATION: Founders FCU Stadium; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 14-27, Conference Carolinas 7-17; Limestone 17-30, Conference Carolinas 11-15
- Tony Valdes goes 4-for-8 on the day with two home runs, driving four and scoring four times.
- Junior Renwick goes 3-for-6 in game one with an RBI and three runs scored.
- Kevin Barbato goes 3-for-8 on the day driving in three runs.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Renwick came out ready to hit to start the game as he launched a solo home run to left field to give King a quick 1-0 lead over Limestone in the first.
- The Saints were quick to answer, however, hitting a home run of their own this one being a two-run shot off the bat of Matt Hilderbrandt to give Limestone a 2-1 lead.
- After a scoreless second inning on both sides, Austin Meyer would add some firepower as he hit a round-tripper to tie up the game.
- Renwick then singled up the middle, where Valdes then drove him in with a double to right field to give King a 3-2 lead.
- Limestone would answer back once again in the bottom half with a solo home run to knot the game at three.
- The momentum stayed in the Saints dugout as they added four more runs in the bottom half of the fourth to give Limestone a 7-3 lead.
- King had an answer once again as they added three runs in the top of the fifth to cut the Limestone lead to one.
- After a scoreless sixth the Tornado added a run on a Valdes home run to centerfield to tie the game at 7.
- Limestone once again answered with a three-run inning to regain the lead 10-7.
- In the top of the eighth King added a run but still trailed 10-8 going into the final inning.
- In the ninth after an unfortunate double play, Barbour stepped up to the plate and knocked a two out two strike double to keep the game alive.
- Trader Flora then reaches on base and went all the way to third on a Saints miscue scoring Barbour.
- Harrison Barger followed with a pinch-hit single driving in Flora to tie the game at 10.
- Limestone would answer in the bottom of the 10th however to walk off on King 11-10.
Winning Pitcher: Michael Sholtis (2-1) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 SO
Losing Pitcher: Drew Moore (1-5) 0.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King once again got the bats working early as Valdes put the Tornado on the board with his second home run of the day.
- The Saints then put two runs on the board in the bottom of the second on a two-RBI single.
- Renwick would drive in Deric Graham in the top of the third to tie the game at 2.
- The tie was short-lived as Limestone would add three runs in the bottom half to regain the lead 5-2.
- After a pair of scoreless innings on both sides, the Tornado would add two runs in a two-run home run from Barbato to cut the lead 5-4.
- This would be all the King offense could muster up, however, and dropped the game 5-4.
Winning Pitcher: Eric Mullinax (3-2) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Moore (1-6) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Alex Connell goes 4-for-9 on the day with three runs scored and one RBI
- Michael Sholtis tosses six innings striking out 10.
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes on Saturday with first pitch scheduled for 1:00 p.m.