BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team fought back from an early deficit to Mars Hill University on Tuesday afternoon. However, the Lions scored runs late in the contest to take the game 12-7.
FINAL SCORE: Mars Hill 12, King 7
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-19; Mars Hill 16-19
TIME OF GAME: 3:22
- King had seven hits by seven different players.
- Tony Valdes ripped his fifth home run of the season.
- David Carnicella drove in two runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions opened the game with three back-to-back singles and took a 1-0 lead on a sacrifice fly.
- Mars Hill added two more on consecutive triples from Austin Treadway and Adam Plouffe to take a 3-0 lead.
- King answered in the bottom of the inning as Kevin Barbato drove in Junior Renwick with a double as the Tornado cut their deficit to 3-1.
- The Tornado evened the tally in the third inning on a River Laskey infield single and David Carnicella groundout.
- The score remained knotted at 3-3 until Mars Hill scored seven runs on four hits in the sixth inning.
- Plouffe highlighted the frame with a two-run double as the Lions opened up a 10-3 advantage.
- Valdes got the offense going with a leadoff home run in the eighth inning. Carnicella drove in another and Hunter Barbour ripped a sacrifice fly.
- King pulled within 10-7 when Carnicella scored on a wild pitch.
- However, the Lions tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the ninth and retired the Tornado in order to take the contest 12-7.
FOR THE FOES
- Treadway went 4-for-5 in the contest with two runs scored.
- Plouffe drove in three on two hits.
- Jordan Lathe went 2-for-5, scoring twice and driving in two.
Winning Pitcher: Cameron Howell (4-4) 4.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Colt Fowler (0-1) 0.0 IP, 0 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
- King hosts fifth-ranked North Greenville University on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. The Conference Carolinas series will conclude with a doubleheader at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Mars Hill hosts Lenoir-Rhyne University on Friday and Saturday.