BRISTOL, Tenn. – Behind stellar pitching from George Helbig and Ashton King, the King University baseball team defeated 11th-ranked University of Mount Olive 6-3 in the opening game on Saturday's doubleheader. The Trojans came back to take game two 9-5, splitting the first two games of the three-game series.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, #11 Mount Olive 3; #11 Mount Olive 9, King 5
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-10, 5-4 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 16-6, 7-3 Conference Carolinas
- Kevin Barbato led King with four hits, including three doubles and scored three runs.
- Along with Barbato, Deric Graham drove in a pair for the Tornado.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Both pitchers were locked in early, only giving up a combined three hits through the first three innings.
- The Trojans were the first to threaten in the fourth with a pair of base hits, but Helbig got the final out to keep the game scoreless.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Barbato led off with a double before advancing to third on a flyout.
- King the drove him in with a sacrifice fly, giving the Tornado the 1-0 lead.
- The Tornado added another in the fifth to take a 2-0 lead before Mount Olive came back in the sixth inning.
- Mount Olive put their first two runners on before JT Stone ripped a home run, giving the Trojans a 3-2 advantage.
- David Carnicella started the seventh inning with a single and later scored on a Trojan error to even the score.
- Barbato gave the lead back to King in the seventh with a two-run double that scored Graham and Banks Presson. Barbato later scored on a wild pitch, giving King the 6-3 lead.
- King then entered on the mound and worked around a pair of runners in the eighth and base hit in the ninth to give King the victory and earn his second save of the season.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Mount Olive wasted no time getting on the board in game two, scoring four runs in the first inning.
- The Tornado responded as Austin Meyer ripped a leadoff single and Barbato followed with a double. Meyer scored on a groundout and Barbato scored on a sacrifice fly, cutting the King deficit to 4-2.
- Graham evened the score at 4-4 in the second when he laced a two-run single down the left field line.
- However, the Trojans regained the lead in the third inning as Junior Snow drove in Nate Estes with a single.
- Joe Mason ripped a home run for Mount Olive in the fifth inning and the Trojans added another run in the sixth to take a 7-4 lead.
- Mount Olive added a pair of insurance runs in the seventh inning on two bases loaded walks, taking a 9-4 advantage.
- Meyer then ripped a home run in the seventh, and Barbato followed with a bunt single.
- However, the Trojans got the final two outs to take the contest 9-5.
Winning Pitcher: Reed Parris (6-1) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 10 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashton King (1-3) 5.0 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Mason led Mount Olive with four hits on the day, including a home run and a double. He also scored four runs
- Stone drove in three on two hits and scored twice.
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes on Sunday at the King Baseball Field. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.