ANDERSON, S.C. – The King University baseball team opened the season on Friday at Anderson and fell behind the Trojans early. King worked their way back, pulling within one, but couldn't complete the comeback as Anderson took the game 8-6.
FINAL SCORE: Anderson 8, King 6
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium; Anderson, S.C.
RECORDS: King 0-1; Anderson 1-0
TIME OF GAME: 3:06
- Trader Flora paced the offense going 3-for-4 and drove in one.
- David Carnicella, Tony Valdes, Hunter Barbour and Junior Renwick all registered two hits.
- Renwick drove in three with a triple.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado went down in order in the top of the first inning, and it didn't take long for the Trojans to get on the board in the bottom half.
- Cody Adams started the bottom of the inning with a double, and after an out, Dillon Carpenter ripped a two-run home run.
- The Trojans broke the game open with five runs in the fourth inning, taking a 7-0 lead.
- The inning was highlighted by a three-run triple from Logan Jackson.
- Following a Kevin Barbato double, Barbour ripped single, scoring Barbato to get King on the board in the sixth inning.
- The King offense erupted in the seventh inning, starting with run-scoring singles from Flora and Valdes.
- Renwick then cut the King deficit to 7-6 with a three-run triple.
- King threatened in the eighth inning but stranded the bases loaded.
- The Trojans answered with a run in the eighth and sat the Tornado down in order in the ninth to take the 8-6 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Jackson posted a pair of hits and drove in four.
- Carpenter drove in two on one hit and scored one.
Winning Pitcher: Will Gee (1-0) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ethan Jenkins (0-1) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Save: Christian Carpenter (1) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
- King and Anderson complete their three-game set on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m.