WISE, Va. – The King University women's volleyball team returned to action and earned a sweep on the road. The Tornado defeated UVa-Wise 3-0 behind a double-double from Cathy Scaniffe on Tuesday night.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, UVa-Wise 0 (25-14, 25-18, 25-21)
LOCATION: Prior Convocation Center; Wise, Va.
RECORDS: King 5-6; UVa-Wise 4-9
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a great start, scoring the first three points and later opening up a 6-1 lead following a Remi Thele kill.
- UVa-Wise came back to get within 8-6, but the Tornado answered with back-to-back points.
- Those points started a 9-2 King spurt, on which Scaniffe posted three kills and Abby Anderson gave King a 17-8 lead with consecutive service aces.
- Scaniffe and Emma Carico later teamed up for a block, giving King the 25-14 victory.
- Amy Serowski served up an ace, giving King an early 9-2 advantage in the second set.
- The Cavaliers came back to get within 12-10, but the Tornado answered to regain a 16-11 advantage.
- Leading 20-17, the Tornado closed the 25-18 victory with a 5-1 run that was capped by a Carico kill.
- UVa-Wise started the third set on the attack, opening up a 9-5 lead before the Tornado started to work their way back.
- King later came back and evened the score at 10-10, and Scaniffe gave King a 13-10 lead with a kill.
- With the score even at 16, Tristyn Lozano started a 6-1 Tornado run with a kill. She added a service ace on the run that put King ahead 22-17.
- Scaniffe later gave King the 25-21 victory with another kill as King took the match 3-0.
- Scaniffe leads King with 11 kills and 11 digs for the double-double.
- Victoria Gause and Thele followed with five kills apiece.
- Anderson handed out 28 assists while Serowski led the defense with 14 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Ciara Kain led UVa-Wise with nine kills and Savannah Turner followed with six.
- Morgan Milligan handed out 13 assists and Makayla Ledford posted 10 helpers.
- Briana Kerr led the defense with 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Scaniffe, the double-double marks her first of the season.
- King plays their first home match of the season on Friday night when they host Erskine College. First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- UVa-Wise travels to take on West Virginia State University on Friday night.