DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team took their second win of the day on Saturday afternoon when they defeated UVa-Wise. The Tornado set the tone from the onset, taking the 3-0 victory over the Cavaliers.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, UVa-Wise 0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-22)
LOCATION: Belk Arena; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 3-4; UVa-Wise 1-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado set the tone early as Amy Serowski gave King an 8-3 lead with a service ace.
- The Cavaliers came back to get within two, but the Tornado answered with three consecutive points to stretch the lead back to five points.
- King stretched their lead to 20-12 before the Cavaliers made a run to get back into the set.
- UVa-Wise got within 23-20, but Cathy Scaniffe came away with a kill and King scored the next point to take the set 25-20.
- The Tornado offense stayed hot in the second set, opening up a 7-2 lead following a Becca Huddleston kill.
- Scaniffe later caped a quick 4-0 spurt with an ace, giving King a 17-7 advantage as the Tornado went on to take the set 25-15.
- UVa-Wise held the upper hand in the first part of the third set before King went on a 3-0 to take a 15-14 lead following a Huddleston kill.
- King later scored three straight points to take a 19-17 lead as the teams started to trade points.
- The Cavaliers scored four straight points, holding off match point, but Scaniffe came away with a kill to give King the 25-22 victory to take the match 3-0.
- Scaniffe led the way with 10 kills for the Tornado while Huddleston accounted for nine kills and 10 digs.
- Abby Anderson handed out 27 assists while Serowski led the defense with 14 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Ciara Kain led UVa-Wise with nine kills, and Eustaica Smith followed with eight.
- Makayla Ledford posted a double-double with 18 assists and 11 digs.
- Briana Kerr led the defense with 12 digs.
- King takes opens Conference Carolinas play on Friday at North Greenville University. First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise travels to Bluefield State College on Tuesday.