DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team opened play at the Erskine College tournament with a match against Shorter University on Friday afternoon. The Hawks grabbed the lead early and didn't look back, taking the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Shorter 3, King 0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-19)
LOCATION: Belk Arena; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-4; Shorter 3-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King grabbed an early lead, using a 5-1 run that featured a kill from Cathy Scaniffe and an ace from Tristyn Lozano.
- The score remained tight until the Hawks broke and 11-11 tie with a 5-0 run. From there, Shorter held the upper hand, taking the first set 25-17.
- In the second set, Shorter grabbed the lead with a 4-0 run that broke a 5-5 tie.
- The Tornado made a run late, but couldn't get any closer that 21-18 as Shorter took a 2-0 lead with the 25-20 victory.
- Emma Carico gave King an early 4-3 lead with a kill, but the Hawks answered with a 3-0 run to grab the advantage.
- Shorter later gained separation, turning an 11-9 lead into a 15-9 advantage following a 4-0 spurt.
- The Tornado were never able to recover as Shorter took the set 25-19 and the match 3-0.
- Scaniffe led the offense with 12 kills while Becca Huddleston followed with seven kills and 10 digs.
- Amy Serowski led the defense with 13 digs, and Abby Anderson handed out 28 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Madeline Munroe led Shorter with eight kills while Danielle Melton posted seven kills.
- Both Kelsi Jones and Tinsley Fain handed out 12 assists while Cheyenne McLemore led the defense with nine digs.
- King takes on Coker College and UVa-Wise on Saturday at the Erskine Tournament. The Tornado will face Coker at 10:00 a.m. on and UVa-Wise at 2:30 p.m.
- Shorter takes on UVa-Wise on Friday evening before facing Erskine and Coker on Saturday.