HARROGATE, Tenn. – Playing their second match of the day, the King University women's volleyball team fell to tournament host Lincoln Memorial University on Friday night. The Tornado stayed close in the first set, but the Railsplitter offense proved to be too much for the Tornado as Lincoln Memorial took the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Lincoln Memorial 3, King 0 (25-20, 25-16, 25-12)
LOCATION Mary Mars Gymnasium; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-2; Lincoln Memorial 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 5-1 run started by a kill from Becca Huddleston to even the score at 8-8 early in the first set. Sydney Pigage registered a pair of aces on the spurt.
- However, Lincoln Memorial answered and extended their lead back to 16-12.
- The Tornado made another run later in the set as Huddleston pulled King back within 18-17 with a kill, but the Railsplitters went on to take the set 25-20.
- King kept the score close in the early going of the second set, but the Railsplitter offense was too much as they opened up a 19-9 lead following an ace.
- Lincoln Memorial went on to take the seconds set 25-16, earning a 2-0 lead in the match.
- A Tristyn Lozano kill in the third set pulled King within 11-8 of the Railsplitters, but Lincoln Memorial answered with a run.
- The Railsplitters scored six of the next seven points to open up a 17-9 advantage.
- Lincoln Memorial then closed the match on a 6-0 run, taking the set 25-12 and the match 3-0.
- Lozano led King with nine kills while Cathy Scaniffe followed with eight.
- Abby Anderson posted her first double-double of the season with 22 assists and 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kiera Holland led the way for Lincoln Memorial with six kills while Rylee Storms followed with five kills.
- Samantha Cash handed out 22 assists and Danielle Stachura led the defense with 23 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Anderson, the double-double was the first of her career. She also set a career-high with 11 digs.
- King takes on Mars Hill University at 2:00 p.m. and Lee University at 7:00 p.m. to close play on Saturday at the Lincoln Memorial tournament.
- Lincoln Memorial faces Erskine College on Saturday.