SUMTER, S.C. – The King University women's tennis team opened their season with a solid outing at the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational. Vanessa Francois won the C draw and Thalía Roustand Ruiz took the C draw consolation title to lead the Tornado.
KING RESULTS: No team scores
LOCATION: Palmetto Tennis Center; Sumter, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Francois started her career with three straight wins at the C draw for the Tornado, coming from behind in two of the matches.
- She first defeated Julissa Quintanilla of the University of Mount Olive 4-6, 6-4, 10-6 before topping Erskine College's Ashlyn Little 6-4, 6-2.
- In the finals, Francois defeated Morgan Keefe of Erskine 2-6, 6-3, 10-8 to take the title.
- Roustand Ruiz dropped her first match to Little 7-6 (7-2), 6-4 before running of three straight wins in the consolation bracket.
- Her first two wins came by the score of 6-0, 6-0 over Hannah Davis of Belmont Abbey and Violet Stilwell of Limestone College.
- She then topped Converse College's Charlotte Gayle 6-0, 6-3, taking the consolation title.
- In doubles play, the duo of Roustand Ruiz and Isla Bell reached the quarterfinals of the Ba draw with an 8-4 win over Belmont Abbey's Davis and Darian DeFrench.
- However, the tandem fell to Laura Brazuelo and Faith Moyers 8-3 in the quarterfinals.
- King returns to action on September 25 when they travel to Tusculum College for their first dual of the fall at 2:00 p.m. The Tornado then travel back to Sumter for the ITA Regional on September 29-October 1.