BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University Women's Soccer team fell to Belmont Abbey College Tuesday afternoon in a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado went down early in the match, but found the back of the net in the second half with a goal by Catherine Walsh. The Crusader's offense was strong however, and the Tornado fell 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Belmont Abbey 3, King 1
LOCATION: Alumni Field; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 1-8-1, 1-5 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 7-2-1, 3-1-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a slow start as they were outshot by Belmont Abbey 6-0 in the first 15 minutes of the game.
- The Crusaders struck first in the 17th minute when they scored off of a corner kick.
- Belmont Abbey scored again in the 39th minute to take a 2-0 lead that carried over into halftime. King was outshot 13-1 in the first half.
- The second half started off with a scoring attempt as Miranda Smith sent a shot off the post in the 52nd minute.
- Belmont Abbey beat goalkeeper Olivia Drake in the 61th minute to take a 3-0 lead over the Tornado.
- Smith was unlucky again in the 71st minute when she sent a ripper off the crossbar.
- However, King was able to find the back of the net in the 78th minute as Walsh placed one past the Crusader goalkeeper to make the score 3-1 Belmont Abbey.
- Smith recorded four shots in the last ten minutes, one of which was on frame. Unfortunately, the Tornado could not find the back of the net for the rest of the game and fell 3-1 to the Crusaders.
- Drake made six saves for King.
- Smith recorded six shots, one on frame while Walsh shot three times placing all three on goal.
FOES THE FOES
- Morgan Patton scored all three goals for the Crusaders.
- Belmont Abbey recorded 22 shots, nine were on goal.
- King hosts Chowan College on Saturday at 1:00 pm for the Tornado's Senior Day.
- Belmont Abbey heads to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.