INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Facing some of the toughest competition in the nation, the King University men's wrestling team had two grapplers advance to Sunday of the 38th Annual Midwest Classic. The tournament features 15 of the top 25 ranked teams in the nation and Dustin Kirk advanced to Sunday's semifinals while Joey Mammolenti is still alive in the consolation bracket.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Coming in ranked 11th in the country at 133 pounds, Kirk started with a 3:47 pin over Parker Buschelman of Thomas More College. He then took a 10-4 decision over Lake Erie College's Andrew Lieb.
- Kirk closed the day with a 4:35 pin over fourth-ranked Dakota Bauer of Maryville University in the quarterfinals.
- At 174 pounds, Mammolenti started with back-to-back wins, the second coming on an 11-4 decision over ninth-ranked Bradley Metz of the University of Findlay.
- Following a setback to third-ranked Huston Evans of Newberry College, Mammolenti pinned Kyle Ryan of Newman University in 48 seconds to reach the quarterfinals of the consolation bracket.
- The Midwest Classic completes on Sunday. Live results will be available on Trackwrestling.com.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 – #11 Dustin Kirk 3-0, semifinals
141 – Tyler Williams 1-2
149 – Ethyn Ewing 1-2
157 – Cory Collins 1-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 3-1, consolation quarterfinals
184 – Elijah Seay 0-2
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 0-2
285 – Cody Davis 0-2