GAFFNEY, S.C. – Playing in front of a national audience, both King University and Limestone College got off to a slow start in a rematch of last season's Conference Carolinas Women's Basketball Tournament championship game. The Saints opened up a sizable advantage in the third quarter, and the Tornado tried to come back in the final stanza, but Limestone held on for the 77-63 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 77, King 63
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 3-4, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 5-1, 2-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams got off to a slow start, but the Saints held a 6-4 lead midway through the first quarter.
- Madison Davis drilled a triple to even the score at 7-7, but the Saints knocked down back-to-back trifectas to take a 13-7 lead.
- Kristen Cupples scored the final bucket of the quarter, but Limestone lead 13-9 after the first stanza.
- Arnelle Collins knocked down a three-point basket early in the second quarter, cutting the King deficit to 16-14.
- However, the Saints went on a 16-0 run before Che' Davis connected from long range to get King back on the board.
- The Limestone lead grew to 19 before the Tornado score the final five points of the half. Dakota Hitchner made a layup and Megan Addison drilled a triple, cutting the King deficit to 37-23 at the break.
- Cupples came out firing in the second half, knocking down a triple, but as was the story of the quarter, the Saints answered.
- Every time King tried to get a run going, the Saints had an answer. Limestone stretched their lead to 21 points, and Kori West made the final bucket of the quarter, cutting the Tornado deficit to 62-43 going to the final stanza.
- West tried to bring the Tornado back in the fourth quarter, scoring eight of her 15 points in the frame.
- A Cupples triple cut the King deficit to 10 points, and Collins made it a 70-61 game with four minutes remaining.
- However, the Saints drilled a triple in the final two minutes to ice the 77-63 victory.
- West led King with 15 points and 10 rebounds for the double-double.
- Cupples followed with 12 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Jasmine Richardson and Keidra Smith led Limestone with 24 points apiece. Richardson added seven rebounds.
- Aliay Ruffin and Aaliyah Davis led the Saints with 12 rebounds each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West posted her first double-double of the season and registered a season-best 15 points.
- Game was streamed live on ESPN3, the first time the King women's basketball team played in front of a national audience.
- King returns home on Saturday when they host Converse College at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Limestone travels to 14th-ranked Wingate University on Monday night.