CLEVELAND, Tenn. – The King University softball team came away with another split on Wednesday when they traveled to Lee University. King took game one 6-4 in 10 innings behind a strong pitching outing from Leslie Odom, but dropped game two 6-2 as the Flames capitalized on a defensive miscue.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, Lee 4 (F/10); Lee 6, King 2
LOCATION: Butler Field; Cleveland, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-11; Lee 13-14
- Kay Brokering paced the Tornado offense with two hits, a double, home run and four runs batted in.
- Hannah Riddle scored a pair of runs on two hits.
- Kaycee Casteel, Jenna Burnett, Summer Hayes all recorded two hits on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Brokering put the Tornado ahead early, with a two-run home run in the first inning.
- It looked like Odom would make that standup in the early going, only allowing one base runner over the first two innings.
- However, the Flames grabbed the lead with three unearned runs in the third inning. Taylor Moran had the big hit, a two-out, two-run single, putting Lee on top.
- Burnett evened the score at 3-3 for the Tornado in the sixth inning with a single up the middle that scored Riddle.
- King grabbed the lead in the seventh inning on a Candace Maness double that score Katie McCann who reached on an infield single.
- Odom was on the way to making that stand, giving King the win, but Brooklyn Frazier ripped a two-out home run, evening the score at 4-4 and sending the game to extra innings.
- King broke through in the 10th on a Katelyn Davidson fielder's choice that scored McCann. Brokering then ripped a two-out double, stretching the Tornado lead to 6-4.
- This time Odom made it standup, getting three straight outs to give King the 6-4 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Leslie Odom (4-3) 10.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 9 SO
Losing Pitcher: Shonna Penney (5-6) 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Tornado again grabbed the lead in the first inning, this time on a Brokering sacrifice fly and double steal as Davidson stole home, giving King a 2-0 lead.
- King threatened in the second inning, but stranded two, and the in the third, the Tornado had the bases loaded, but couldn't push any runs across.
- Lee finally broke through in the fifth inning as the loaded the bases. It looked as though the Tornado would get out of the inning with a groundball, but a defensive miscue kept the inning going for the Flames.
- Ultimately, Lee would go on to score six runs in the inning, capped by a Moran two-run home run to take a 6-2 lead.
- The Tornado threatened in the seventh inning with a pair of runners, but couldn't push any runs across as the Flames took the game 6-2.
Winning Pitcher: Erika Greek (2-2) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (2-5) 4.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 0 ER, 25 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Frazier posted two hits, drove in four and scored a pair of runs.
- Moran also drove in four on two hits.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Friday when they travel to Southern Wesleyan University. First pitch from Central, S.C. is slated for 4:00 p.m.
- Lee travels to Union University (Tenn.) on Saturday and Sunday.