BOONE, N.C. – The King University men's cross opened the season with a 6,400 meter race against stellar NCAA Division I opponents on Friday evening at the Covered Bridge Open hosted by Appalachian State University. The Tornado turned in a solid opening meet, finishing sixth ahead of East Carolina University and Lees-McRae College.
FINAL SCORE: King 6th/8 overall, 2nd/3 Division II
LOCATION: State Farm Fields, Boone, N.C.
DISTANCE: 6,400 meters
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tanner Cook was in the lead pack at the beginning of the race, and led the Tornado, finishing 22nd in 21:00.51.
- James Russell Ballowe came in next at 21:33.65 to finish 37th.
- Last year's Conference Carolinas Freshman of the Year Charles Ramos finished 47th with a time of 21:53.70.
- Morgan Greene finished 55th, covering the distance in 22:31.01.
- In his first collegiate race, Tyler Edwards finished in a time of 23:05.06 to take 64th.
- Caleb Greene rounded out the squad, finishing in 24:51.71 in his first collegiate race.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King, who is ranked ninth in the USTFCCCA Southeast Region poll finish one spot behind Mars Hill University who is ranked second in the regional poll.
FOR THE FOES
- Florida State University's Jack Goodwin won the race with a time of 20:02.19.
- The top NCAA Division II finisher was Mars Hill's Alex Griggs who finished 12th overall.
- King returns to the course on Friday at the Lenoir-Rhyne Invitational in Hickory, N.C.