SEWANEE, Tenn. – The King University men's swimming team competed in the Sewanee Invitational over the weekend. The Tornado finished in fourth place and was led by Juan Somoza who won four races for King.
KING RESULTS: 4th of 7
LOCATION: Sewanee, Tenn.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado started the weekend off with the 100 yard medley relay team of Aleksander Stosik, Somoza, Tyler Brewster, and Cade Martin posting a time of 46.74 and taking second place in the event.
- Somoza had a fantastic invitational as he recorded first place finishes in the 100 yard individual medley, 200 yard individual medley, 400 yard individual medley, and 200 yard backstroke. He also took a third-place finish in the 50 yard breaststroke.
- Martin posted a fourth place finish in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 22.88. He also competed in the 50 yard backstroke and recorded a time of 26.66 and a 100 yard freestyle time of 51.38.
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Stosik, Martin, Ethan DeRouis, and Brewster recorded a third place finish with a time of 1:44.96.
- Stosik posted two third place finishes on the weekend. One in the 50 yard backstroke with a time of 25.36 and another in the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 49.23. He also finished the 200 yard freestyle at 1:52.80.
- DeRouis competed in five events for the Tornado with his best finish coming in the 500 yard freestyle where he posted a fifth place finish with a time of 5:55.75.
- Brewster set a personal record in the 50 yard butterfly with his time of 25.89. He also recorded a fifth place finish in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 58.84.
- King capped off the weekend with a second place finish in the 200 yard freestyle relay. Stosik, Martin, DeRouis, and Brewster competed in this event for the Tornado.
QUOTES FROM THE COACH
- "I was pleased with our competitiveness throughout the meet, with most of the swimmers posting times faster than where they were last year at this point," Head Coach James Graves said. "Juan Somoza continues to improve and is setting himself up well to swim fast at our mid-season meet. Freshman Cade Martin is starting to assert himself and is a big part of the men's team success this weekend."
- King will be back in action on November 17 when they travel to Charlotte, North Carolina to swim in the Fall Frenzy Invitational.