BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team squared off with Chowan University and the score was even at the half. However, the Hawks scored a pair of goals early in the second half. King scored late, but it wasn't enough as Chowan took the game 2-1.
FINAL SCORE: Chowan 2, King 1
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-8-1, 0-7 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 6-2-2, 2-1-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hawks started on the attack, placing two of their three shots on goal and earning four corner kicks in the first 15 minutes.
- King then tried to turn the field with a pair of corner kicks, but both were unsuccessful.
- Dalton Gammon then came up with three more saves over the final 25 minutes, keeping the game scoreless at the break.
- The best scoring chance for the Tornado came in the 25th minute on a corner kick where Adonis Wheeler had his header blocked by the Hawk defense.
- Chowan broke through in the 54th minute when Carl Kennedy found Josh Baker on the right side of the box. Baker ripped his shot high inside the far post to give the Hawks the 1-0 lead.
- The Hawks extend their lead to 2-0 in the 61st minute when Kennedy played a cross that was headed in by Lee Wattam at the back post.
- King had a couple chances with 10 minutes remaining, and Luis Calderon found the back of the net in the 90th minute when he took a pass from Juan Nabor and ripped his shot from the left side of the box into the back of the net.
- King placed two of their nine shots on goal and had three corner kicks.
FOR THE FOES
- Chowan took 14 shots in the contest, placing nine on goal. The Hawks also had eight corner kicks.
- King is in action again on Wednesday when they travel to Southern Wesleyan University. Kickoff from Central, S.C. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Chowan hosts Barton College on Wednesday.