BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team played another tight match on Wednesday afternoon when they hosted Tusculum College at Parks Field. The Tornado trailed twice, but answered both times as the contest went to overtime with the teams knotted at 2-2. The game remained tied after the two extra sessions, ending the contest in a draw.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Tusculum 2
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-5-1; Tusculum 1-4-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tusculum went on the attack, with a shot on goal and a corner kick in the first 15 minutes.
- The Pioneers hit the post, and King goalkeeper Jake Davis made two move saves before Tusculum found the back of the net in the 32nd minute.
- Oscar Rubio Jimenez placed his free kick in the lower left of the net, putting the Pioneers on top.
- In the 45th minute, Carlos Saavedra ripped a shot, and Charles Johnson took an attempt off the rebound that was turned away and the ball ended up a Luis Calderon's feet.
- Calderon then put the ball in the empty net, giving King the equalizer 19 seconds before halftime.
- The Pioneers started on the attack early again, taking a shot that was turned away in the opening minute of the second half.
- In the 62nd minute, Ayuk Tambe dribble down the right side of the Tornado defense and ripped a shot that glanced off the keeper and bounced into the goal, putting Tusculum back on top.
- The lead was short-lived, however, as Saavedra played a cross into the front of the Pioneer goal in the 68th minute.
- The ball found Calderon's foot and he ripped a shot that deflected off the crossbar and in, evening the tally at 2-2.
- Davis came up with a diving save in the 71st minute to keep the score even.
- The Pioneers had another chance in the 85th minute, but it went off the post, sending the game to overtime.
- Ben Harris had the first scoring chance of the first extra session as his shot was turned away.
- Davis later came up with a save in the 100th minute, and the game went to a second extra session.
- In the second overtime, Tusculum took seven shots, one that was turned away by Davis to keep the game going.
- Calderon had a chance in the 107th minute, but his shot too was saved, ended the game in a 2-2 draw.
- King placed eight of their 13 shots on goal.
- Davis posted eight saves.
FOR THE FOES
- The Pioneers took 29 shots in the contest, placing 11 on frame and earned 13 corner kicks.
- Ivan Safranic posted six saves in goal for Tusculum.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goals for Calderon were his first two of the season and he now has eight goals in his career.
- King faces Emmanuel College on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at Parks Field.
- Tusculum travels to Newberry on Saturday afternoon.