ATHENS, W.VA. – In their first game of the season, the King University men's soccer team came away with their first win of the season, defeating Concord University 1-0. Lucas Lavender tallied King's lone goal early in the second half and Jake Davis posted a shutout in goal.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Concord 0
LOCATION: Anderson Field; Athens, W.Va.
RECORDS: King 1-0; Concord 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado came out on the offensive attack, ripping five shots in the first 10 minutes, placing three on frame.
- Ben Harris placed one shot on goal, and Carlos Saavedra followed with a pair on net, but all were turned away.
- The Mountain Lions had a chance in the 14th minute, but King goalkeeper Davis came up with a save.
- Concord had another scoring chance in the 34th minute, but their shot hit the post, keeping the game scoreless at the break.
- King began the second half on the attack with a pair of corner kicks before Lavender broke through in the 50th minute.
- Lavender laced a shot from 25 yards out that fit under the crossbar, giving King the 1-0 advantage.
- From there, the Tornado defense clamped down, only allowing two Mountain Lion shots, neither of which were on frame.
- King outshot Concord 10-7, placing five shots on goal to only two for the Mountain Lions.
FOR THE FOES
- Kyle Brown made four saves for the Mountain Lions.
- Pedro Bassin led Concord with three shots while Alex Rhodes placed both of his shots on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Lavender was his first career goal in his first career game.
- Davis made his first start in goal for the Tornado, and posted his first career shutout.
- In his first game leading the Tornado, Head Coach Richie Rose earned his first win.
- King stays on the road to take on Lincoln Memorial University on Sunday. Kickoff from Harrogate, Tenn., is slated for 3:30 p.m.
- Concord travels to take on Shippensburg University on Saturday.