ETTRICK, Va. – The King University men's basketball team returned to action with a tough test at 18th-ranked Virginia State University on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado used a run in the second half to gain a lead, but the Trojans closed the game on spurt to send the contest to overtime. Virginia State used another run in the extra session to take the contest 79-72.
FINAL SCORE: #18 Virginia State 79, King 72 (F/OT)
LOCATION: Multipurpose Center; Ettrick, Va.
RECORDS: King 8-5; Virginia State 10-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mack Owens scored the first bucket for King, but the Trojans answered with a 10-0 to gain the lead.
- Virginia State held the advantage for the majority of the opening stanza, gaining their largest advantage of the half at 20-10 eight minutes in.
- Dontae Campbell tried to spark the Tornado offense with a triple that ended the Trojans 7-0 spurt.
- Trailing 28-20 with eight minutes remaining in the half, the Tornado defense clamped down. King only allowed three more points the remainder of the half.
- In that time, the Tornado chipped away at their deficit and gained a four-point halftime advantage.
- King held Virginia State scoreless for the final 5:43 of the half, outscoring the Trojans 10-0 in that time.
- In all, King closed the half on a 15-3 spurt to vault to a 35-31 advantage.
- Owens drilled a three-point basket to start the run and gave King the lead with a layup. Kalen Clifton capped the first half scoring with a triple, putting the Tornado ahead 35-31.
- Virginia State came out of the half on a run, scoring eight of the first 10 points to take a 39-37 lead five minutes into the second half.
- The score was even at 48 when the Tornado scored five quick points to take a 53-48 lead midway through the second half.
- Following a Trojan triple, the Tornado looked to put the contest out of reach with a 13-3 spurt.
- Mike Salomon capped the run with a triple that put the Tornado ahead 66-56 with 3:05 remaining.
- However, the Trojans didn't give up as they started to chip away at their deficit.
- Virginia State scored nine straight points to pull within one before Timothy Taylor made a free throw.
- However, the Trojans evened the score at 67 with a Philip Owens layup with 17 seconds remaining.
- King had a chance in the waning seconds to win the game, but their attempt was off the mark as the game went to overtime.
- Owens scored the first bucket of the extra session for the Tornado, but Virginia State scored the next 12 points to take the contest 79-72.
- Je'Don Young led the Tornado with 17 points and four assists.
- Owens followed with 16 points and 13 rebounds for the double-double.
- Salomon was the final Tornado in double figures with 10 points to go along with seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Trey Brown led five Trojans in double figures with 19 points seven rebounds and six assists.
- Richard Granberry scored 14 points and added 11 rebounds while Brandon Holley scored 12 points.
- Philip Owens and Cyonte Melvin chipped in with 10 points apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Owens, the double-double marks his eight of the season. He has recorded double-doubles in four of the last five games.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play when they travel to Southern Wesleyan University on Tuesday night. Tipoff from Central, S.C. is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Virginia State travels to take on Barton College on Tuesday night.