ANDERSON, S.C. – The King University baseball team closed their opening series on Saturday with a pair of defeats at Anderson University. The Trojans took game one 11-6 before a Tornado comeback fell short in the nightcap, giving Anderson a 10-9 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Anderson 11, King 6; Anderson 10, King 9
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium; Anderson, S.C.
RECORDS: King 0-3; Anderson 3-0
- Trader Flora hit two home runs on the day while Tony Valdes and David Carnicella each hit one home run on the day.
- Kevin Barbato posted three hits on the day, ripping a double and triple and scoring three runs.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning on a Barbato RBI triple and a Cooper Fandel RBI double.
- Anderson cut their deficit in half with a run in the second and threatened for more in the third, but King stranded the bases loaded with Trojans in the bottom of the second.
- Anderson grabbed a 4-2 lead on a three-run triple from Daniel Blazejewski.
- Carnicella came back for King with a home run in the fourth inning, cutting the Tornado deficit to 4-3.
- Anderson extended their lead to 6-3 in the fifth inning before King plated a pair in the seventh.
- Ashton King drove in Valdes with a double and Fandel drove in King, cutting the Tornado deficit back to one run.
- Anderson added two runs in the seventh, but Flora responded with a home run in the eight, cutting the King deficit to 8-6. However, the Tornado left the bases loaded in the eighth.
- Anderson used that momentum in the bottom of the eighth, scoring three runs.
- The Trojans then sat the Tornado down in order in the ninth to take the 11-6 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Matthew Stanley (1-0) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Erik Calderon Jr. (0-1) 2.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 1 SO
Save: Christian Carpenter (2) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King got off to a hot start with two runs in the first inning, scoring a pair of runs on an Anderson defensive miscue.
- King added two more runs in the second inning on back-to-back run scoring doubles from Barbato and Rob Sari.
- Anderson got on the board in the third inning, scoring four runs to even the score at 4-4.
- King regained the lead on a Valdes home run in the fourth inning.
- However, the Trojans responded with four runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Brandon Odachowski highlighted the inning with a two-run single through the right side.
- King came right back and evened the score at 8-8 on a Flora three-run home run in the fifth inning.
- In the sixth inning, the Tornado took a 9-8 lead on a King single that scored Valdes.
- Anderson answered in the bottom half, evening the score on a Dillon Carpenter home run.
- The Trojans then scored the game-winning run on a King defensive miscue, giving Anderson the 10-9 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Christian Hendrix (1-0) 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Jared Bridges (0-1) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Carpenter went 4-for-7 on the day and scored six runs.
- Chandler Castleberry also recorded four hits and scored three runs.
- King returns to the field on Wednesday when they travel to Carson-Newman University. First pitch from Jefferson City, Tenn. is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
- Anderson hosts Young Harris College on Tuesday.