BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. – Pitching was the story for the King University baseball team as they swept Salem University in a doubleheader. The Tornado only allowed three combined hits in 14 innings, taking game one 13-1 and game two 8-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 13, Salem 1; King 8, Salem 0
LOCATION: Bridgeport High School; Bridgeport, W.Va.
RECORDS: King 26-17; Salem 17-14-1
- Tony Valdes went 3-for-5 on the day with a home run, four runs batted in and three runs scored.
- Kevin Barbato laced three hits on the day, including a home run and drove in five while scoring twice.
- Cam Haymans and Mark Michael each drove in three runs on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado grabbed the lead with an unearned run in the second inning, and broke the game open with five runs in the third inning.
- Valdes drove in a pair with a single in the third and Haymans ripped a three-run double, giving King a 6-0 lead.
- Bubba Ruiz doubled home Michael in the fourth inning extending the Tornado lead.
- King put the game out of reach with two runs in the sixth inning, and four more in the seventh.
- Michael and Hunter Barbour both drove in runs in the sixth and Barbato ripped three-run home run in the seventh to give King the 13-1 victory.
- On the mound, that was all Grant Boyd needed as he only allowed one run on two hits in the complete game victory.
Winning Pitcher: Grant Boyd (6-4) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Dillon Champagne (2-2) 3.0 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 6 BB, 5 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado struck first in this one when Barbato ripped a single that brought Bailey home to give King a 1-0 lead early in the first inning.
- King scored two more runs in the top of the first on a pair of wild pitches to extend their lead to 3-0.
- The Tornado scored three more runs in the top of the third inning, highlighted by Valdes RBI single. Valdes later scored on a wild pitch to give King a 6-0 advantage.
- A Barbato sacrifice fly to center field brought in another run for the Tornado in the top of the seventh. King would score an unearned run later in the inning to give the Tornado an 8-0 lead.
- Octavio Mirabal and Garren Jackson combined for the one-hit shutout on the mound.
- Mirabal tossed five innings and struck out seven while Jackson tossed two perfect innings with two strikeouts.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (8-5) 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Cole Standifer (2-3) 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Jimmy Cramer led Salem with two hits on the day, one in each game and scored their lone run.
- King and Salem wrapup their three game series with a single contest on Sunday at 12:00 p.m.